Hawaii Occupational Safety & Health in conjunction with OSHA, established certification requirements for forklift operators. Regulations require employers to provide the training. Leeward Community College has established a certification training that meets industry standards. Certification is for Class 1, 4, and 5 vehicles only.
Online registration is for debit/credit card purchase only. For other payments, use Standard Registration.
Click on a course section to see dates and to add to your cart. Course details and schedules are subject to change without prior notice. For future course schedules, you may also contact our office. View “contact and information” section in the Course Details.
Upon successful completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
· Explain the different categories and types of Forklifts.
· Identify the hazards involved with the operation of a forklift.
· Identify truck controls and instrumentation: location, purpose, and operation.
· Understand vehicle refueling for gasoline, diesel and propane forklifts.
· Understand vehicle battery recharging procedures for electric forklifts.
· Understand visibility restrictions and how to safely operate a forklift with limited visibility.
· Identify forklift nameplate, how to read and interpret nameplate data.
· Explain how to maintain vehicle stability, and describe vehicle limitations.
· Perform vehicle pre-inspections to identify potential safety concerns.
· describe the procedures for logging and reporting forklift discrepancies.
· Understand the impact of surface conditions and load composition when operating a forklift.
· Understand load manipulation, stacking, and unstacking.
· Read and interpret operating instructions for the forklift.
· Read and interpret warnings, and precautions for forklifts.
· Demonstrate proficient operator skills on a forklift.
Must be at least 18 years of age by the first day of class
Must be 16 years of age and have a parent or guardian present to sign a risk and release waiver at the beginning of the first class period.
William J. Labby
Workforce Development Coordinator
For assistance email the coordinator at the above address or call 808 455-0688.