Phi Theta Kappa Ceremony
Congratulations to the newest inductees into Phi Theta Kappa. On Saturday, November 23, twelve Leeward students were inducted in Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) Alpha Lambda Chapter. PTK is the international honor society of two-year colleges, whose mission is to recognize academic achievement of college students and to provide opportunities for them to grow as scholars and leaders. With more than 1250 chapters, PTK membership provides members with access to transfer scholarships to more than 600 senior colleges, automatic nomination to the prestigious National Dean’s List and a myriad of other advantages and recognition opportunities.
Chancellor Carlos Peñaloza welcomed the new inductees, along with family and friends. He shared his memory of the day he became a PTK member himself and how it helped shape his leadership. Faculty Advisor, Michael Bauer and co-advisor Allan Nebrija, led the inductees in the oath and welcomed all into the honor society.
The newest members of Leeward’s PTK are:
- Merriam Cook Conte will complete her AA degree in Liberal Arts in December. She will pursue a Bachelor of Science degree in Hawaiian and Indigenous Health and Healing at UH West O’ahu.
- Tara Hartley is working towards an Associate degree in Liberal Arts – Social Sciences degree at Leeward. She plans on transferring to UH-Manoa next year where she’ll work towards a double major in Psychology and Social Work.
- Tatiana Lee is in her second year of college majoring in elementary education. She wants to earn an Associate degree in teacher education and then pursue her Bachelor’s degree
- Mary Lewis’s educational goal is to earn a Master’s degree in Human Resources Management.
- Kaumakaonalani “Maka” Medeiros is currently majoring in Plant Biology and Tropical Agriculture. After graduation, Maka plans on transferring to the UH-West Oahu to earn her Bachelor’s of Applied Science degree with concentration of Sustainable Community Food Systems.
- Royce Nagai received his Bachelor's degree in Psychology and Anthropology at UH West Oahu. He is currently fulfilling his prerequisite classes at Leeward for his career goal of becoming a psychiatrist.
- Tierry Roboman is a double major in Business Technology and Liberal Arts. She wishes to own her own business one day.
- Reina Sepulveda’s goal is to graduate as a registered nurse, specializing in Geriatrics. She will soon complete my prerequisites for the nursing program at Kapiolani Community College.
- Katrina Spencer plans to graduate with an Associate in Science degree in the Fall of 2020, and then pursue a bachelor of arts at UH-Manoa in Creative Media, with a minor in Japanese.
- Jostine Stanley is in her second year at Leeward, pursuing her Associate in Arts degree. Her educational goal is a Bachelor's degree in Psychology.
- Christine Vanterpool is the first in her family to go finish college. She intends to pursue a degree in psychology leading to a career as a caseworker who works with foster children
- Weiqi Wang is a student at Wai'anae Moku and is in his first year of college. He wants to earn a Bachelor's degree in business.
Photos from the ceremony on Leeward's Flickr site.