Leeward CC’s Veterans Affairs provides assistance to eligible student Veterans, Active Servicepersons, Dependents, Reservists, and National Guard Members with state and federal educational benefit programs. The VA staff is committed to servicing all qualified and disabled veterans and their dependents in their educational pursuits.
Leeward CC is an approved institution for education and training under the Veteran’s Educational Assistance Act (GI Bill) and the Dependent’s Act. Information regarding eligibility, entitlement and types of training authorized may be obtained from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill or contacting the VA Western Regional Office in Muskogee, Oklahoma at 1-888-442-4551 (toll free).
Types of VA Education Benefits
Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (MGIB-AD) Program: Provides benefits that may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses.
Chapter 31: Training and Rehabilitation for Veterans with Service-connected Disabilities Program: Provides vocational rehabilitation for disabled veterans to become independent in daily living and to the extent possible, to select, prepare for, secure and maintain employment.
Chapter 33: The Post 9/11 GI Bill Program: For individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. Veteran must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The Post-9/11 GI bill became effective for training on August 1, 2009. Active service members who qualify for this program may transfer their unused education benefits to their spouses or children.
Chapter 35: Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) Program: Provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty from a service-related condition. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training.
Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) Program: Available for members of the Selected Reserve which includes the Army/Navy/Air Force/Marine Corps/Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard and Air National Guard. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship, on-the-job training and correspondence courses.
Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP): A member of a reserve component who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 under title 10 U.S. Code for a contingency operation and who served at least 90 consecutive days or more is eligible.
New Students/First-time Users of VA Benefits:
- If you have not done so, please apply for your VA Education Benefit using the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) on http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp . Veterans who plan to give their dependents all or some of their Education Benefit must submit a Transfer of Educational Benefits (TEB) request while they are still a member of the Armed Forces. Please refer to http://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/post911_transfer.asp
- Apply and be accepted to Leeward Community College. Please visit our page on “How to Apply” and the necessary admissions requirements
- Decide on a major for a degree program or certificate.
- Contact the Veterans Resource Center (808) 455-0410 or (808) 455-0274 for further instruction on the documents you will need to submit. All Veteran documents must be submitted to the VA Benefits window (AD-220).
Transfer Students – Previously used VA benefits at another college/university:
- Apply and be accepted to Leeward Community College
- Complete the VA 22-1995 (22-5495 for Chapter 35 dependents) Change of Home Institution form to have your education benefit applied to Leeward CC. This form is available at our VA window (AD-220) along with the additional forms we need to complete your certification process
- Complete and submit a transfer evaluation request form and have your official transcripts sent to our institution
Vocational Rehabilitation Students:
- Apply and be accepted to Leeward Community College
- Contact your counselor at Vocational Rehabilitation (Tripler) to send a 1905 form verifying and approving your educational benefits at Leeward CC
- Pick up and complete additional forms necessary for your claim at our VA window (AD-220) located in the admissions and records office
Continuing and Returning Students:
- If you are returning after a break in enrollment, you must reapply and be accepted to Leeward CC.
- Pick up the Veteran Student Enrollment Information form at our VA window and meet with a counselor to approve your courses (after you register). Submit the completed form to the VA window (AD-220) so the Certifying Officials can process your certification and bill the VA for your classes.
An added note to all:
ALL changes in enrollment (add, drop, course cancellation), regardless of who initiated it, MUST be reported to our VA clerk. Failure to report changes promptly may incur a debt on your behalf to the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Designed for veterans who would like to earn additional income by working while obtaining their education (if positions are available). The work will be VA related, unless stipulated otherwise by the work study supervisor. To be eligible, you must be enrolled at least ¾ time and may work a maximum of 20 hours per week.
To be considered for work study:
- Contact the Veterans Resource Center, VA Work Study Supervisor, Kardyn Flores (808) 455-0274
- Submit a copy of your resume
- Wait to be contacted for an interview with the VRC Staff
- Selected individuals will complete the VA work study contract with work study supervisor
IMPORTANT CONTACT INFORMATION:
VA Educational Call Center – 1 (888) 442-4551 (toll free)
Monthly Verification of Enrollment – 1 (877) 823-2378
Direct Deposit enrollment/changes – 1 (877) 838-2778
VA website – http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill
Leeward CC VA Certifying Officials – (808) 455-0644, FAX: (808) 454-8804
For more information, please visit the links on the left or contact us at
Leeward Community College Admissions and Records Office
96-045 Ala Ike Pearl City, Hawaii 96782
Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
In person: AD 220