Transferring to UHWO

Meet with a Counselor Students may work with a Leeward CC counselor or UHWO advisor to plan a course of study. The UH-West Oahu catalog, particularly sections on admission requirements and lower-division general education requirements, may be consulted. Contact UHWO’s Student Services Office for any additional information.

Admission Requirements
A student who has successfully completed 54 or more credits of transferable lower-division college courses at any campus of the University of Hawaii or other accredited college or university with a grade point average of 2.0 or higher (on a 4.0 scale) may be eligible for admission.

Students who have graduated with an Associate in Arts (AA) degree from a University of Hawaii community college with a grade point average of 2.0 or higher (on a 4.0 scale) are eligible for transfer. With an AA degree all general education requirements will be deemed met by UHWO. However, the number of credits applicable towards the Bachelor of Arts degree will be determined by an evaluation of the courses completed for the AA degree.

Students transferring with an Associate in Science or Associate in Applied Science degree must have completed a minimum of 45 transferable credits and will be required to meet UHWO’s lower-division general education requirements. Students who have completed some previous college work but have yet to attain the 54 credit minimum, may have their transcripts evaluated for possible admission as unclassified students. Students are urged to contact the UHWO Student Services Office for questions regarding eligibility for admission.

Submit Official Transcripts from All Schools
Any Leeward student transferring to UHWO after attending other colleges or universities must submit transcripts from those schools as well as from Leeward. Transcripts of work completed at Leeward Community College, may be viewed by the student’s home campus electronically. The student should check with the Admissions and Records Office at their home campus for evaluation and transfer procedures. The credits and grades earned will be evaluated by UHWO to determine eligibility for transfer.

General Definition of Transferable Courses
Courses acceptable for transfer to UHWO are those numbered 100 and above and classified as college-level courses. Transfer credit allowed for a course toward the number of credits required for graduation may not necessarily mean that the course will satisfy the general education requirements for UHWO.

Minimum Number of Credits Numbered 300 and Above
The minimum requirement for a Bachelor’s degree is 120 credits of acceptable college-level work. Of these 120 credits, the maximum number of credits from community college courses applicable to this requirement is 66.
A minimum of 54 must be earned in upper-division courses (300 and 400 series).
At least 30 credits must be earned in courses taken at UHWO.

General Education Requirements

Any student who has earned an Associate in Arts degree at one of the University of Hawaii’s community colleges will be considered to have met the necessary lower-division general education requirements.

Credits from any accredited college or university will be reviewed for transferability towards the requirements for graduation.

For other students, the following credit requirements, by general academic area, must be completed at the lower division level:
1. Humanities and Language Arts
18 semester hours from at least three of the following:  American Studies, Art, Communication, English, History, Language, Music, Philosophy, Religion and Speech. (Arts and Music courses excluding studio coursework.)

2. Social Sciences
15 semester hours selected from at least three of the following: Anthropology, Economics, Business, Ethnic Studies, Cultural Geography, Human Services, Sociology, Political Science, Psychology, and Education.
3. Mathematics and Natural Sciences:
12 semester hours of which at least 3 credits must be in mathematics (MATH 100/115 or higher) and 3 credits in a natural science* with the remaining 6 credits from additional mathematics and/or natural science courses.
Courses such as ASTR, BIOC, BIOL, BOT (except BOT105), CHEM, GEOG 101, GG, ICS courses emphasizing programming, additional MATH, MICR, OCN, PHRM, PHIL 110, PHYS, QM, SCI, ZOOL fulfills this requirement.

Related Info: Choosing and Preparing for a Major