If you are passionate about plants and sustainability, this is the degree for you. The Plant Biology and Tropical Agriculture program offers education and training for you to be part of Hawaii's diversified agriculture and conservation fields.
About the Program
You'll learn from a variety of fields including
- soil science
- natural resource management
- organic agriculture
- plant propagation
Our classes are dynamic and applied to current issues related to tropical agriculture and island sustainability. We focus on sustainable agriculture practices that are science based, environmentally sound, and benefit our island community. We have a research and learning farm on campus that supports our classes by allowing students to learn hands-on with composting, vermicast, integrated pest management, and growing and eating amazing produce. We also have a native plant garden that serves for those interested in native plant conservation.
DEGREE AND CERTIFICATES OFFERED
- Associate in Science, Plant Biology and Tropical Agriculture (54-60 credits) will prepare you for various careers in agriculture through hands-on practices, classroom instruction and knowledge of plants, soils, crop production, pest management, business principles, food, agriculture and the environment. Requirements for the Associate in Science degree
- Academic Subject Certificate (25-29 credits) is designed to provide plant science and laboratory knowledge and skills to facilitate employment or further education in agricultural businesses. Requirements for the Academic Subject Certificate
- Certificate of Achievement (23-27 credits) will prepare you for various careers in agriculture through hands-on practice and classroom instruction in crop production, pest management, business principles, food, agriculture and environmental studies. Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
- Certificate of Competence (12-13 credits) will help you develop skills and acquire knowledge through hands-on practices and classroom instruction in agricultural systems and tropical crop production. Requirements for the Certificate of Competence
- Certificate of Competence, Aquaponics Technician (10-13 credits) will provide you with comprehensive courses in plant science and aquaponics including plants, aquaculture, pest management and aquaculture systems.Requirements for the Certificate of Competence, Aquaponics Technician
TIME AND COSTS
The time to complete the certificates or the degree varies from one to four semesters. To obtain the associate degree in two years, you have to take an average of 15 credits/semester.
Costs: tuition and fees
For current information on jobs here in Hawaii: Career Coach
- Associate in Science Degree
- Academic Subject Certificate
- Certificate of Achievement
- Certificate of Competence
- Certificate of Competence, Aquaponics Technician
Daniela Dutra Elliott, Assistant Professor CC, Biology, BA, Florida Atlantic University; MS, Horticultural Sciences-Environmental, University of Florida; PhD, University of Hawai'i at Mānoa
Heather R. K. McCafferty, Instructor CC, Plant Biology and Tropical Agriculture; BS Agriculture, University of Aberdeen, Scotland; PhD, Molecular Biology, University of Exeter, England.
Nicola Davison, M.S.Tropical Agricultural Development, University of Reading, England. Higher National Diploma Agriculture, Writtle Agricultural College, England.
Alyssa M. MacDonald, Assistant Professor of Biology; B.S. Biology, M.S. Fisheries Oceanography, University of Massachusetts Dartmouth; PhD Molecular Biosciences and Bioengineering, University of Hawai'i at Mānoa
Kabi Neupane, Professor CC, Biology, Biotechnology, BS, M.Sc., University of Agricultural Sciences, India; MBA, PhD, University of Hawai'i at Mānoa