Plant the Seed for a New Career.
Do you enjoy working outdoors or growing plants? Are you concerned about food security and want to grow your own food? Are you also interested in a career that uses modern technology?
The Plant Biology and Tropical Agriculture Program provides you the education and training to succeed in Hawaii's diversified agriculture and biotechnology workforce. It’s also a perfect start to a four year degree in bioscience, or developing your own agribusiness.
In this program, you will:
- learn botany, plant physiology, soil and water science as you grow a field crop from seed to seed.
- explore attractive career opportunities in agriculture and soil conservation.
- receive $500 stipend, if eligible. Contact our faculty or counselor to see if you’re eligible!
DEGREE AND CERTIFICATES OFFERED
- Associate in Science, Plant Biology and Tropical Agriculture (62-66 credits) will prepare you for various careers in agriculture through hands-on practices, classroom instruction and knowledge of plants, soils, crop production, pest management, business principles, food, agriculture and the environment. Requirements for the Associate in Science degree
- Academic Subject Certificate (27-30 credits) is designed to provide plant science and laboratory knowledge and skills to facilitate employment or further education in agricultural businesses. Requirements for the Academic Subject Certificate
- Certificate of Achievement (34-38 credits) will prepare you for various careers in agriculture through hands-on practice and classroom instruction in crop production, pest management, business principles, food, agriculture and envrionmental studies. Requirements for the Certificate of Achievement
- Certificate of Competence (14 credits) will help you develop skills and acquire knowledge through hands-on practices and classroom instruction in agricultural systems and tropical crop production. Requirements for the Certificate of Competence
- Certificate of Competence, Aquaponics Technician (13 credits) will provide you with comprehensive courses in plant science and aquaponics including plants, aquaculture, pest management and aquaculture systems.Requirements for the Certificate of Competence, Aquaponics Technician
TIME AND COSTS
The time to complete the certificates or the degree varies from one to four semesters. To obtain the associate degree in two years, you have to take an average of 15 credits/semester.
Costs: tuition and fees
For current information on jobs here in Hawaii: Career Coach
- Associate in Science Degree
- Academic Subject Certificate
- Certificate of Achievement
- Certificate of Competence
- Certificate of Competence, Aquaponics Technician
Kabi Neupane, Professor CC, Biology, Biotechnology, B.S., M.S., University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore, India, M.B.A., Ph.D., University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa