designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense
Through the tireless efforts of Petersen Gross and Will Albritton , Leeward CC has been designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense 2 Year Education (CAE2Y) through academic year 2023. The institutional award was established by the National Security Agency (NSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with the support of the National Science Foundation (NSF) and CyberWatch for community colleges. This is a designation establishes that Leeward has a robust information assurance programmeets their requirements in regards to Cyber Defense.
The benefits to a CAE2Y institution are significant:
- recognition of the quality of the program by industry, professional associations, and academic institutions
- seamless program articulation with CAE universities
- better job placement and/or transfer opportunities for students
- opportunities for collaboration with other CAE2Y and CAE institutions
- improved institutional standing in the local, regional, and professional community
- opportunities for institutional and program marketing
The award letter stated, “Your ability to meet the increasing demands of the program criteria will serve the nation well in contributing to the protection of the National Information Infrastructure… addresses the critical shortage of professionals with these skills and highlights the importance of higher education as a solution to defending America’s cyberspace.”
Certificates will be presented during a designation ceremony in November 2018 at the National Initiative for Cybersecurity Education Conference in Miami, FL. More about our Cyber Security and the Information and Computer Science program.