Academic Subject Certificate in Philippine Studies
The Certificate in Philippine Studies is designed to provide you with a strong introduction to the culture, language, and history of the Philippines and the Filipino people. With proper planning, the Certificate may be completed within the total credit requirements for the Associate in Arts degree.
The coursework provides a valuable foundation to students planning to earn a bachelor’s degree in Asian Studies and is recommended to students of any ethnic heritage who are interested in Filipino culture, language, and history and the evolution of ethnic minorities in the United States.
|Course Alpha||Course Title||Credits|
|ASAN 203||Philippine History & Culture*||3|
|ASAN 204||Filipinos in the U.S.*^ (3)||3|
|ASAN 205||Contemporary Philippine Issues^ (3)||3|
|FIL 101||Elementary Filipino I (4)||4|
|FIL 102||Elementary Filipino II (4)||4|
|HIST 242||Civilizations of Asia II* (3)||3|
|Recommended Electives (for further study beyond required courses)|
|SSCI 101||Self Development (Project Malaya) (3)|
|FIL 201||Intermediate Filipino I (4)|
|FIL 202||Intermediate Filipino II (4)|
* Any one of these three courses will fulfill the Diversification Humanities requirement (DH) for the AA degree
^ This course may meet the Writing Intensive (WI) requirement for the AA degree.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Provide students the opportunity to learn and understand the history, language, arts and culture of the fastest growing and second largest ethnic group in Hawai‘i (Filipinos)
- Provide students of Filipino ancestry the opportunity to learn about their heritage, and develop a sense of identity and confidence
- Assist students transferring to four-year institutions majoring in Philippine Language and Literature, Asian Studies, Ethnic Studies, and other humanities or social science disciplines such as history, political science, sociology, geography, education and other fields of study.
- Provide a vehicle for the community to understand the culture of the fastest growing and second largest ethnic group in Hawai‘i (Filipinos)
- Provide education for mutually respectful and productive employment environment in Hawai‘i in areas that involve Filipino culture, e.g., health care, tourism and service industry, education, government, entrepreneurship