Financial Aid / Award Policies

Print a copy of the page

Financial Aid Award Policies provide important information about receiving financial aid and maintaining financial aid eligibility.  It is important that you carefully read and ensure you understand these policies. 


  • To receive aid, you must be admitted as a classified student in an eligible Associate or Certificate Degree Program.  If your degree program changes to an ineligible degree program after you are awarded, your financial aid will not disburse or will need to be taken back.  Courses you enroll for should apply toward your degree.
  • You are expected to maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) toward the completion of a degree.  To remain eligible, you are expected to meet all Academic Eligibility Requirements:  Maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0, successfully complete at least 67% of total credit hours attempted, and complete your degree within the time frame allowed at Leeward Community College (Leeward CC).  The full SAP Policy may be viewed at
  • You are responsible for notifying Leeward CC’s Financial Aid Office of the following:
  • Name, phone number, and/or address change
  • Enrollment status change
  • Residency status change
  • You are responsible for checking your UH email account ( for communications from Leeward CC’s Financial Aid Office.


  • Awards are based on full time enrollment (12 credits or greater).  Awards will be adjusted for lower enrollment levels.  If you change your enrollment level (add or drop classes) after your aid has been disbursed, you may be required to pay back to the aid programs and/or have an outstanding obligation to the institution.
  • The basic assumption is that you will attend school for the entire enrollment/payment period(s).  If you do not begin attendance, or complete courses for which you received aid, you will be subject to a Federal Return of Title IV Funds calculation and may be required to repay a portion or all of the aid received for the semester.  The full Return of Title IV Funds Policy may be viewed at  You are responsible for informing Leeward CC’s Financial Aid Office if you completely withdraw or stop attending classes.
  • If you are concurrently enrolled or are enrolled in Distance Education courses at other University of Hawaii community colleges, and would like Leeward CC’s Financial Aid Office to consider enrollment in those course(s) as part of your total enrollment, you must: 
  • Be enrolled for at least one course at Leeward CC;
  • Ensure the other course(s) apply to your Leeward CC degree; and
  • Complete the Concurrent Enrollment Form, which may be obtained at


  • You are required to inform Leeward CC’s Financial Aid Office if you receive outside resources (see Financial Aid Terminology below).  An adjustment to your award may be necessary to reflect the increase of your resources.
  • Per Federal regulations, a student's financial aid awards (i.e. grants, work-study, loans) and scholarships/resources cannot exceed the Estimated Cost of Attendance (see Financial Aid Terminology below).
  • Failure to notify Leeward CC’s Financial Aid Office on a timely basis may delay your financial aid disbursement and/or may require you to repay the university and/or the federal government.

Cost of Attendance:  The estimated cost to attend Leeward CC for the award period.  This includes tuition and fees, books, and supplies, meals and housing, personal expenses, and transportation.

Concurrent Enrollment: Concurrently enrolled or are enrolled in Distance Education courses at other community colleges within the University of Hawaii System.

Estimated Family Contribution:  This is an amount that reflects your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which is the amount you and/or your family are expected to pay toward your college costs.  This amount is determined by the federal government and is based on the information you reported on your FAFSA.

Need:  This amount is calculated by taking your cost of attendance and subtracting the expected family contribution and outside resources.

Other Financial Resources:  The amount of “other” aid you may be receiving from external scholarship donors, benefits, and/or entitlements not administered by Leeward CC’s Financial Aid Office.  Examples include scholarships or resources from Kamehameha Schools, Hawaii Community Foundation (HCF), Ma’o Farms, and Army Emergency Relief (AER).

REVISED 07/2017