Math Lab General Rules and Procedures
Cell Phone Policy
- Be courteous and responsible in the use of your cell phone
- Cell phones must be turned off or set to silent mode
- Exit before making or answering a phone call (conduct all cell phone conversations outside)
- Patrons wishing to report bothersome cell phone use should contact any Math Lab staff member
Food and Drink
- Light, neat, non-distracting snacks and covered beverages are allowed in the Math Lab.
- Items that might distract others in the Lab, such as those listed below, must be enjoyed outside.
- No messy or greasy food items
- No full meals (plate lunch, bento, etc)
- No distracting foods (noisy, aromatic, etc)
- After enjoying a snack or beverage, students are expected to clean their areas.
- Tutoring is offered, free of charge and on a walk-in basis, to students enrolled in MATH or QM discipline courses offered by Leeward CC.
- Math Lab tutoring is not a replacement for attending class or instructor consultation.
- Tutors can assist with odd-numbered textbook problems and ordinary computerized homework but will not assist with problems that will be turned in for grading, exit assessments, or extra credit assignments without specific instructor approval of such assistance. When there is any doubt, tutors will refer student questions to their respective instructors.
- The Math Lab is a working lab so ongoing and active tutoring and discussion of MATH and QM topics, procedures, and problems is expected.
- Discussion of other topics should be kept quiet and brief to help to maintain an atmosphere conducive to the study and learning of mathematics.
- Overly energetic (loud) discussions of any sort should be taken outside of the Math Lab so as not to disturb others who are studying.
- As a courtesy to others, please do not bring children to the Math Lab.
The Math Lab reserves the right to require disruptive individuals to leave the Math Lab.
Computer Lab Use
- 19 computer stations are available for students to use for Leeward CC MATH or QM discipline course work.
- There is no specific time limit restriction placed on the computer use in the Math Lab as long as students are working on Leeward CC MATH or QM discipline course work.
- Students who want to use computers for work for courses in other disciplines or from other colleges should go to the Learning Commons to use a desktop computer or to the Library Circulation Desk to borrow a laptop.
- Basic, scientific, and graphing calculators are available for students to use in the Math Lab and to borrow for MATH and QM discipline course work.
- All calculators must be returned on the day borrowed by the Math Lab closing time.
Textbook & Solution Manual Use
- Textbooks and solutions manuals currently used in Leeward CC MATH and QM discipline courses are available for students to borrow.
- Current textbooks MAY NOT be taken home and must be returned on the day borrowed by the Math Lab closing time.
- Reference textbooks (usually older editions) are also available for student use. There are reference books targeted to pre-algebra, algebra, MATH 103, pre-calculus, and calculus. These reference books may be taken home and used for students’ personal use for the entire semester.