Students, faculty, and staff can submit several kinds of requests for library materials. You can request materials from other libraries in the University of Hawaiʻi system to be picked up at Leeward CC (this is sometimes referred to as the Intra-System Loan service, or ISL). You can request to have an item that someone else has already checked out, to be held for you when it is returned. You can also request to have an item that is already checked out recalled from the current borrower so you can borrow it. For more details about these services, please see the descriptions at the bottom of this page.To request to have something brought in, or have something held for you:
- Search for the item you want in the Hawaiʻi Voyager online library catalog. [ Click here to connect to Hawaiʻi Voyager in a new window. ]
- From the results list, click on the title of the item you want to get, to view the full record. If your search finds only one item, the full record will automatically be displayed.
- On the right side of the screen, click on the "Get This Item" link.
- Login to the system.
- Choose the "Hold or transfer this item" option, and fill in the form.
- Follow steps 1-4 above.
- Choose the "Recall this checked out item" option, and fill in the form. The current borrower will have two weeks to return the item.
- Follow steps 1-4 above.
- Choose the "Request Article: send it to Leeward CC" option, and fill in the form.
For all types of requests, when the item you requested is ready for you to pick up, you will automatically be notified by an e-mail message.
Only circulating materials (that is, books and other materials that can be checked-out and borrowed from the library) can be requested or held. Items in reference collections, reserve collections, and other items identified as "Library Use Only" in the online catalog cannot be requested.
- Please include a note in the "Comments" section that you want to pick up the item at Waiʻanae.
- In the "Pick Up At" list, choose Leeward CC
More Information About Requests
When you submit a request for an item that is not currently checked out, the request will be sent to the library that owns the item. Most libraries retrieve and process their requests once a day. The item will be sent to the pick-up location, either via the inter-campus delivery system or by mail. This may take several days to a week or longer. When the item is available for you to borrow, an e-mail message will be sent to you.
If you wish to request an items that looks like it should be borrowable, but cannot be requested through the online form, please check with the staff at the Circulation Desk. Some items require special processing that is not compatible with the automated request management system.
When you request an item that someone else has already checked out, a hold will be placed on that item. The current borrower will have until the item is due to return it, and will not be able to renew the loan. When the item is available for you to borrow, an e-mail message will be sent to you.
If more than one hold has been placed on an item, requesters will have to wait in turn to borrow the item.
If you need an item that is already checked out, and you cannot wait until the item is due to be returned, you can request a recall of the item. The current borrower will be notified by e-mail that the item needs to be returned within two weeks. When the item is available for you to borrow, an e-mail message will be sent to you.