Academic Subject Certificate in Global Studies
The Academic Subject Certificate in Global Studies is designed to promote cultural sensitivities and international engagement of students at Leeward Community College. The coursework builds upon the strengths of our Hawaiian and multi-ethnic communities in the Pacific.
This program correlates with the system-wide efforts to position the University of Hawai‘i as a preeminent center of international learning. The purpose of this certificate is to prepare students to meet the challenges of an interconnected and interdependent world as globally conscious and internationally engaged citizens.
|Core Requirements - one course from each group|
|Group 5 - Hawaiian and Foreign Language|
|Elective Requirement - one course from the following list|
|Course must not be previously selected as one of the core requirements
|Total Program Credits||18-20|
Program Learning Outcomes
With the completion of this certificate, students will be able to:
- Evaluate the growing interconnectedness of people and places through expanding economic, political and cultural activities.
- Analyze the factors that promote and shape the international exchange of goods and services.
- Critique the unique historical trajectories of different world regions and the complex political and cultural contexts of contemporary global issues.
- Recognize the diversity of the arts and their role in advancing universal understanding.
- Use second language skills to demonstrate cross-cultural knowledge and appreciation.