All of the research databases and online resources on the library's Research Tools page are accessible off-campus by current Leeward CC students, faculty, and staff. For many of these databases, you will be prompted to log in with your UH username and password (the same one you use for MyUH, UH e-mail, Laulima, etc.).
If you have difficulty accessing these databases off-campus:
Please let us know by calling us at 455-0379, or e-mail us at email@example.com. Please provide us with as much of the following information as you can:
- A description of the problem you are experiencing – Tell us the steps you followed. If you e-mail us, copy and paste any error message you see, or include a screen shot (Windows: Press the PrtScn key, then paste into a Word or WordPad document. Mac: Press Command-Shift-3, and attach the resulting file).
- The date and time you had the problem
- The web page from which you tried to connect to the database – Please provide us with the URL of the web page that has the link you clicked on.
- Your name and 8-digit UH number – We can check your library account to see if there is a problem with your record. This may be the case if the UH Login page displays a message that says, "Sorry, you were denied access because: Your barcode is not Active".
- Are you having difficulty with all the database or just some of them?
- Does a second, different login screen appear after the brown UH Web Login screen? – Once you log in with your UH username and password, you shouldn't also see a login screen from the database service. If you do, there may be a problem with the way the database service is set up.
- Where is the computer that you are using when you have the problem? – Were you using your home computer with your own Internet service? Or a computer at your workplace? Sometimes work networks have firewalls that cause difficulties. Computers in another library, on a K-12 school campus, or in a military facility might also have connection problems.
- Which web browser are you using? – Is there a particular web browser that you are having the problem with? Or does the problem occur with all the browsers you have on your computer? Hint – if you're having problems with one browser in particular, try clearing your browser cookies. and if that doesn't work, try clearing your cache, temporary files, browser history, etc.
- What is your IP address? – Please visit www.myipaddress.com to find the IP (Internet Protocol) address that your computer is using, and let us know what that address is. It'll be a four-part number with periods between the number groups.
Error Message: Secure Connection Failed or SSL Connection Error:
Try clearing your browser's cache, cookies, and browsing history. See this page for more instructions.
Other Common Problems:
- Bookmarking the Database
- Don't bookmark the database after you log in. That web address/connection was created just for that particular session. It won't work if you try to use the same URL again later.
- Kapiʻolani CC's Nursing Students
- Students who are in Kapiʻolani CC's nursing program, but are taking class on the Leeward CC campus, need to use Kapiʻolani CC Library's website for off-campus database access.
- Another Campus is Your Home Campus
- If you are taking a Leeward CC class, but another campus is your official "home campus", you need to use the library website of your home campus to access research databases from off-campus (see our other libraries page for links). If you need to access a specialized database for your class that is not available from your home campus, please contact our Circulation Department for assistance.
- You are outside of the United States
- For security reasons, many places outside of the US are blocked from UH library computer systems. To arrange for access to library databases from your location, please visit www.myipaddress.com to find your IP address, and contact the Library Systems Office at Hamilton Library at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Community Users
- Holders of Community User cards cannot access our restricted-access databases, due to the terms of our contracts with our database vendors.
- MyUH Portal
- If you are using the MyUH portal to get to the library's website, some features and databases might not work. Use this link to open a direct connection to the library's website, or manually enter the address http://www.leeward.hawaii.edu/library into your browser.
If you are prompted to log in when you are on campus:
It shouldn't happen, but if it does, please let us know. Please visit www.myipaddress.com to find the IP (Internet Protocol) address that your computer is using, and let us know what that address is. It'll be a four-part number with periods between the number groups.
Suddenly Can't Connect to Databases, On-Campus or Off-Campus:
Rarely, a technical problem or network problem at the UH Mānoa campus may affect the library's database access management system. You might get an error message saying that the page is unavailable. If you are on campus, you might be able to use the links on this page to access our databases, depending on the nature of the problem. Off-campus users will have to wait until the problem is fixed. This kind of problem usually last only a short while. If the problem persists, please follow the troubleshooting steps at the top of this page.
If the Library Website is Unavailable:
In case the library website becomes unavailable, we have a web page with links to our databases posted on an off-campus server. Please visit and bookmark http://www2.hawaii.edu/~lccref today, as you will not be able to view this page if the site is offline.