All of the research databases and online resources on the library's Research Tools page are accessible off-campus by current Leeward CC students, faculty, and staff. For many of these databases, you will be prompted to log in with your UH username and password (the same one you use for MyUH, UH e-mail, Laulima, etc.).
If you have difficulty accessing these databases off-campus:
Please let us know by calling us at 455-0379, or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide us with as much of the following information as you can:
- A description of the problem you are experiencing – Tell us the steps you followed. If you e-mail us, copy and paste any error message you see, or include a screen shot (Windows: Press the PrtScn key, then paste into a Word or WordPad document. Mac: Press Command-Shift-3, and attach the resulting file).
- The date and time you had the problem
- The web page from which you tried to connect to the database – Please provide us with the URL of the web page that has the link you clicked on.
- Your name and 8-digit UH number – We can check your library account to see if there is a problem with your record. This may be the case if the UH Login page displays a message that says, "Sorry, you were denied access because: Your barcode is not Active".
- Are you having difficulty with all the database or just some of them?
- Does a second, different login screen appear after the brown UH Web Login screen? – Once you log in with your UH username and password, you shouldn't also see a login screen from the database service. If you do, there may be a problem with the way the database service is set up.
- Where is the computer that you are using when you have the problem? – Were you using your home computer with your own Internet service? Or a computer at your workplace? Sometimes work networks have firewalls that cause difficulties. Computers in another library or on a school network might also have connection problems.
- Which web browser are you using? – Is there a particular web browser that you are having the problem with? Or does the problem occur with all the browsers you have on your computer? Hint – if you're having problems with one browser in particular, try clearing your browser cookies. and if that doesn't work, try clearing your cache, temporary files, browser history, etc.
- Do you get an error message saying "Forbidden – You don't have permission to access...? – If so, please visit www.myipaddress.com to find the IP (Internet Protocol) address that your computer is using, and let us know what that address is. It'll be a four-part number with periods between the number groups.
Other Common Problems
Don't bookmark the database after you log in. That web address/connection was created just for that particular session. It won't work if you try to use the same URL again later.
Students who are in Kapiʻolani CC's nursing program, but are taking class on the Leeward CC campus, need to use Kapiʻolani CC Library's website for off-campus database access.
If you are taking a Leeward CC class, but another campus is your official "home campus", you need to use the library website of your home campus to access research databases from off-campus (see our other libraries page for links). If you need to access a specialized database for your class that is not available from your home campus, please contact our Circulation Department for assistance.
Holders of Community User cards cannot access our restricted-access databases, due to the terms of our contracts with our database vendors.
If you are prompted to log in when you are on campus:
It shouldn't happen, but if it does, please let us know. Please visit www.myipaddress.com to find the IP (Internet Protocol) address that your computer is using, and let us know what that address is. It'll be a four-part number with periods between the number groups.