International Programs Insurance

Health Insurance Requirements - Questions & Answers

Are international students with F-1 visas required to have health insurance?
Yes. As a College of the University of Hawaii system, Leeward CC requires all international students to have health insurance while enrolled. There is no universal health care system in the U.S. and health care is very expensive. Our health insurance requirement guarantees international students affordable access to the U.S. health care system.

When should my health insurance coverage begin?
We recommend health insurance coverage begins the day you arrive in the U.S. Students will not be allowed to register for classes until health insurance is purchased covering a minimum of one session or semester.

Do international students need health insurance during summer and winter breaks?
We recommend international students have continuous health insurance coverage while in the U.S., including summer and winter breaks. While health care coverage during these breaks is not mandatory, continual coverage of health insurance guarantees access to the U.S. health care system, even when school is not in session.

How does Leeward CC monitor health insurance for international students?
A health insurance “hold” is placed on each student record to monitor the dates of coverage. The “hold” reflects the date health insurance coverage expires. After this date, students will not be allowed to register for classes until they update their insurance for the following session or semester.

Does Leeward CC recommend a health insurance plan?
Leeward CC offers an International Student Health Plan administered by a company called ISO. This insurance meets all of the health requirements of University of Hawaii system. All management of your health insurance plan, including initial enrollment, payments, renewals and searches for doctors and pharmacies can be done via the ISO website.  Please view this informative video for more information on health insurance.

Can i use an insurance plan from my home country?
While Leeward CC will accept an alternative insurance, you must provide a detailed plan description (translated in English) to verify your insurance plan complies with the University of Hawaii requirements. It is the decision of the Leeward CC International Programs Office whether or not to accept your alternative insurance. Do not purchase this insurance until it is approved. To find out if your insurance plan meets the minimum requirements, please click this form and fill it out to the best of your knowledge.