The central mission of the English Language Institute at Leeward Community College is to provide high quality English as a second language (ESL) instruction and orientation in U.S. culture to international students, professionals and other non-native speakers by means of an intensive English program.
To achieve this mission, the English Language Institute pursues the following goals:
- Improve the English language and study skills of international students in preparation for study at an American college or university, or for personal or professional purposes.
- Provide students with the cultural knowledge and awareness necessary to transition from life and study in their own countries to the U.S.
- Provide student support and administrative services of the highest quality
- Adhere to the highest standards of English language instruction by attracting and developing talented and experienced faculty
- Developing an intellectual atmosphere in which professional development is supported, valued and pursued by all faculty.
- Enrich Leeward Community College and the local community, fostering cross-cultural communication and interaction.
- Advance Leeward CC’s reputation for excellence and its image as an international, multicultural learning community.