Financial Aid Tips
Tips for Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Make sure to include Leeward’s school code: 004549
- Make sure to sign your application or include your PIN and your parent’s PIN.
- Keep a copy for your records.
- Start with the FAFSA on the Web Worksheet that allows you to read and complete the questions before entering your information online. Available at www.fafsa.ed.gov
- Gather all the documents you need before filling out the form. Use the checklist below to get organized!
The Documents You'll Need
You will need the records of income earned in the year prior to when you start school. You may also need records of your parents’ income if you are a dependent student. For the 2016-2017 academic year, you will need financial information from the 2015 calendar year. For the 2015-2016 academic year, you will need financial information from the 2014 calendar year. Have the following information/documents on hand when filling out the FAFSA:
- Your Social Security Number
- Your driver’s license (if any)
- Your W-2 Forms and other records of money earned
- Your (and your spouse’s, if married) Federal Income Tax Return
- Your parents’ Federal Income Tax Return (if you are a dependent student)
- Your untaxed income records (i.e. if applicable, military benefits information, veterans benefits records, workers’ compensation, etc.)
- Child support received
- Worker’s compensation
- Your current bank statements
- Your current business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond and other investment records
- Your alien registration or permanent resident card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
Keep these records. You may need them again, Do not mail the records with the application.
You can find out if your family qualities for federal financial aid by going to the FAFSA FORECASTER to get an early estimate of eligibility for federal student aid. This Web site provides an opportunity to increase your knowledge of the financial aid process; become familiar with the various types of federal student aid that are available; and investigate other sources of aid, such as grants and scholarships. The FAFSA4caster can help you determine your estimated family contribution (EFC). The EFC is used by colleges to determine your financial need by comparing it with your cost of education.
Financial Aid Office Information
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
Address: 96-045 Ala Ike, AD-210
Pearl City, HI 96782
Phone: (808) 455-0606
Fax: (808) 453-6371
Email: lccfao [at] hawaii [dot] edu
Federal School Code: 004549