Financial Aid / FAQ

What is the deadline?

At Leeward Community College, the financial aid priority deadline is March 1 for every academic year.  Students may complete the FASFA application between October 1 and June 30 of each academic year, however, our office must receive a valid (complete) FAFSA by the last day of instruction for the term you are enrolled in.  Our office will continue to process applications until funds are depleted and until the end of the academic year.

When are applications available?

Beginning with the 2017-2018 academic year, FAFSA applications will now be available October 1.  Current academic year applications are available on an on-going basis.

If I completed a paper FAFSA, do I submit it to your office?

No. Your completed paper FAFSA must be mailed to the Federal Processor in the pre-addressed envelope provided with the application.

How long is the application good for?

The FAFSA is only good for the academic year indicated on the application. You must re-apply for financial aid every academic year.

Why do I have to provide parental information?

Parent information is required because the U.S. Congress has said that families have the primary responsibility of funding a college education. Parent information is NOT required if you are INDEPENDENT. By federal definition, you are considered independent if you meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • You are 24 years or older by December 31 of the academic year
  • You are married as of the date you filed your FAFSA
  • You are working on a masters or doctorate degree
  • You have children who will receive more than half of their support from you between July 1 and June 30 of the academic year
  • You have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you, now and through June 30 of the academic year
  • You are a ward of the court at any time since you turned age 13 or both parents are deceased
  • You are an emancipated minor as determined by a court in your state of legal residence
  • You are/were in legal guardianship as determined by a court in your state of legal residence
  • You are an unaccompanied youth and homeless as determined by your high school or school district liaison; the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development; or the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program
  • You are currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training
  • You are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces

What if I do not meet any of the definitions above AND my parents do not support me?

Unfortunately, by Federal standards, you are not automatically considered independent for financial aid purposes when parents refuse to give support for college education or stop claiming you as a tax exemption. Unwillingness, inability, or reluctance of parents to help pay for educational costs, or demonstrating self-sufficiency and living out of your parent's home cannot qualify you as an independent for the purposes of Financial Aid if you do not meet the other definitions provided.

Financial Aid Offices may make exceptions for students to be independent if they can demonstrate extenuating family circumstances. You may contact our office for more information.

Which parent's information do I report if they are divorced/separated?

You must provide the information of the parent with whom you lived with more during the past 12 months. If you lived with both parents equally, provide the information of the parent who provided more than half of your financial support.

What if I have a special circumstance?

You should still complete the FAFSA and provide the information requested. You may contact our office to discuss your circumstances.

What happens after I apply?

You have the responsibility to follow up on your financial aid application. After filing a FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) either electronically if your completed your FAFSA on-line, or by mail if you completed a paper FAFSA. You must review your SAR and make any necessary corrections.

Our office will receive an electronic copy of your SAR provided that you listed our school code (004549) on your application. After reviewing your SAR, we may request for additional information and/or documentation. Your application will be considered complete when the last requirement is satisfied. Our office reviews applications chronologically, based on completion date. You will receive an email notification once your eligibility has been determined.

What is the IRS Data Retrieval?

The IRS Data Retrieval is tool that allows applicants who have already filed their federal income tax returns to prefill the answers to some questions on the FAFSA by securely transferring data from their federal income tax returns.

How do I use the IRS Data Retrieval tool or request for a copy of IRS Tax Return Transcripts?

Please refer to our Instructions for Income Information

*If you are a DEPENDENT student, you should also utilize the IRS Data Retrieval tool for your parents
*If you are unable to utilize the IRS Data Retrieval tool AND you were selected for VERIFICATION, you must request for a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS. If you are a DEPENDENT student, you will also need to request for your parent's Tax Return Transcript.

What is an "aid package"?

When you apply for financial aid, you do not have to apply for a particular type or amount of aid. Applicants are automatically considered for all available aid programs administered by our office.

What if I am receiving an external scholarship?

You must inform our office if you are receiving scholarships from outside agencies as these scholarships must be included as a part of your financial aid package.

Am I eligible for financial aid while on financial aid probation?

Yes, you may receive financial aid while on financial aid probation, however, you must adhere to the terms of your probation. Please refer to your Academic Plan that you created with your Academic Counselor.

What changes could affect my awards?

Your initial award will be based on full-time enrollment (12 or more credits). The following are some examples that may cause your awards to be revised:

  • Change in enrollment status
  • Receipt of additional awards (i.e. scholarships)
  • Change in residency status

What happens if I withdraw from my classes?

Per federal regulations, our office must apply a federal formula to determine if funds need to be repaid. In addition, your withdrawal may place you in jeopardy of receiving financial aid in future semesters based on our Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy.

How do I get my money?

Your financial aid will be applied electronically to your registration charges approximately ten days prior to the first day of school for each semester, unless your awards are finalized after the start of school. Any excess monies will be refunded to you via paper check (sent through the regular mail) or directly deposited into your bank account (if you signed up for eRefunds through MyUH Services) within ten business days from the date of your disbursement.

What is eRefunds?

eRefunds is a simple and secure way to receive your financial aid refund(s) (if you are entitled to a refund). Instead of having a paper check mailed to you, you can choose to sign up for eRefunds to have your money electronically deposited into your bank account.

How do I sign up for eRefunds?

Log onto your MyUH Services account, click on or search for Enroll in Direct Deposit eRefunds, and provide your bank account number and routing number.

How can I contact the Financial Aid Office?

In Person: 96-045 Ala Ike, AD 210 (during renovations DH-A 106), Pearl City, HI 96782
By telephone: (808) 455-0606
By Email:
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00AM to 4:30PM