Print a copy of the page (2019-2020)
Your financial aid award(s) will be electronically applied to any unpaid registration charges approximately 10 days prior to the start of instruction, unless your awards are finalized after the start of school or you have any outstanding requirements.
ENROLLMENT/CHANGES IN ENROLLMENT
- Financial aid awards are ultimately based on the number of credits you are enrolled for (enrollment level). However, your initial award offer is based on full time enrollment, unless you are nearing your maximum timeframe (SAP). Awards may be reduced for enrollment levels less than full time. If you change your enrollment level (add or drop classes) after your aid has been disbursed, you may be required to repay the aid programs and/or have an outstanding obligation to the institution. Enrollment levels are listed below.
- Full time = 12 credits or greater
- Three quarter time = 9 – 11 credits
- Half time = 6 – 8 credits
- Quarter time or less than half time = 1 – 5 credits
- Each term will have an “Enrollment Level Census Date” for purposes of determining you enrollment level for financial aid award amounts. On this “census date” we will record each student’s enrollment level (number of credits enrolled) as of that date, which will determine your eligibility for financial aid awards for the semester. Classes that are added after this “census date” will not be included into your financial aid enrollment level for the semester.
- The “Enrollment Level Census Dates” for 2019-20 are:
Fall 2019 – Tuesday, September 17, 2019
Spring 2020 – Wednesday, February 5, 2020
Summer 2020 – Date To Be Determined
- The basic assumption is that you will attend school for the entire enrollment/payment period(s). If you do not begin attendance or complete courses for which you received aid, you will be subject to a Federal Return of Title IV Funds calculation and may be required to repay a portion or all of the aid received for the semester. Our full Return of Title IV Funds Policy may be viewed at http://www.leeward.hawaii.edu/finaid-return-title-iv-funds-policy. You are responsible for informing our office if you completely withdraw or stop attending classes.
- If you are concurrently enrolled or are enrolled in Distance Education courses at other University of Hawaii Campuses, and would like our office to consider enrollment in those course(s) as part of your total enrollment, you must:
- Be enrolled for at least one course with Leeward CC;
- Ensure the other course(s) apply to your Leeward CC degree; and
- Complete the Concurrent Enrollment Form.
- Generally, most of the funds that are administered by our office will be applied to Leeward CC charges only. If you are enrolled for courses at another UH System community college, you are responsible for making payment for any tuition and fee charges due to the other campus, even if a Concurrent Enrollment Form has been approved and you are entitled to a refund. The disbursement of your financial aid for the credits at the other campus will be processed after the schools add/drop period of the Fall/Spring semester.
EXCESS FUNDS/CREDIT BALANCES (REFUND)
There are two ways to receive a refund:
- Direct Deposit (Electronically). Your refund will be processed within 3 to 5 business days from the date of your disbursement. To get any refunds processed to you electronically, you must sign up for e-Refunds on your MyUH Services.
- Mailed check. Your refund will be processed within 7 to 10 business days from the date of disbursement. The check will be mailed to the address reflected on their MyUH Services. You are responsible for maintaining a correct mailing address on your MyUH Services.
DISBURSEMENT INFORMATION BY PROGRAM
Federal Pell Grant Recipients: The Federal Pell Grant will disburse according to your enrollment status at the time of disbursement. A prorated or reduced amount will disburse for enrollment statuses less than full- time, unless you are not eligible at that particular enrollment status.
Institutional Grant/Scholarships/Waiver Recipients: Institutional grants/scholarships/waivers will be disbursed on the required enrollment status of the fund. If the Institutional Grant/Scholarships/Waiver does not have a requirement of full-time enrollment, the disbursement will be prorated and/or reduced for all enrollment statuses that are less than full-time. No disbursement for enrollment statuses less than half-time.
Federal Work Study Recipients: Must be enrolled at least half-time at Leeward CC. Federal Work Study (FWS) does not represent money in-hand at the beginning of the semester. You are required to work, generally on-campus, to earn the award. You may view FWS job openings at https://www.hawaii.edu/sece/.
Federal Direct Loan Borrowers: If you have completed all of the loan requirements, funds will be disbursed 10 days prior to the start of instruction, unless your loan funds were finalized after the start of school or you have any outstanding requirements. Since all financial aid awards are generally based on full-time enrollment, Federal Direct Loans funds will not disburse if you are enrolled at a status that is less than full time.
- First-time, first-year borrowers’ loan funds will be disbursed approximately 30 days after the start of the semester, per federal regulations, unless your loan funds were finalized after that time frame.
- One-semester loan borrowers’ loan funds will be split into two disbursements, per federal regulations. The first disbursement will be 10 days before the first day of instruction, unless your loan funds were finalized after that time frame. The second disbursement will be at the mid-point of the semester (mid- October for Fall only loans and mid-March for Spring only loans).
- If you are enrolled in a modular program/course(s); in general, loan funds will not be disbursed until you are attending at least 6 credits.
Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan Borrowers: If you have completed all of the loan requirements, funds will be processed on the first day of school, unless your loan funds were finalized after the start of school or you have any outstanding requirements. Funds will be applied to any outstanding tuition and fee charges and any leftover funds will be processed as a paper check and will be mailed to either your parent or you (depending on what you and your parent had indicated on your PLUS Loan Request Form).
Private Loan Borrowers: Funds will be processed on the first day of instruction, providing we have received the monies. Our office will notify you when your check is ready to be endorsed to the Cashier’s Office. All private loan funds will be applied to your student account, whether or not you have any outstanding tuition/fee charges. If you have a credit balance, the Cashier’s Office will process a refund.
External Scholarship Recipients: Leeward CC receives external scholarship funds via the following methods: electronically (ACH), master check or by individual paper check. Funds will be processed on the first day of instruction, providing we have received the monies. Our office will verify your enrollment at the time your scholarship is processed. If you are enrolled at a status that is less than full time, we will need authorization from the donor to release the funds. All external scholarship funds will be applied to your student account, whether or not you have any outstanding tuition/fee charges. If you have a credit balance, the Cashier’s Office will process a refund.