Complete Your FAFSA
To apply for federal student aid, you need to complete the FAFSA (the Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Completing the FAFSA is simple and fast, but best of all, it’s FREE! It will also provide you access to the largest source of financial aid to pay for college. Your FAFSA information will also be used to determine eligibility for available state and school aid.
Follow these steps to complete your FAFSA (click to expand):
You must complete the FAFSA for every academic year you plan to attend.
- 2022-2023 Academic Year includes: Fall 2022, Spring 2023, and Summer 2023
- Complete the 2022-2023 FAFSA using your 2020 income/tax information.
- 2023-2024 Academic Year includes: Fall 2023, Spring 2024, and Summer 2024
- Complete the 2023-2024 FAFSA using your 2021 income/tax information.
- Social Security Number
- Income Information for the correct year(s):
- Dependent Students must obtain the following for yourself and your parents: W-2 Forms , Federal Tax Returns , Untaxed income (i.e. child support, worker’s compensation, etc.), Bank statements, Investment and business information
- Independent Students must obtain the following for yourself and your spouse, if married: W-2 Forms , Federal Tax Returns , Untaxed income (i.e. child support, worker’s compensation, etc.), Bank statements, Investment and business information
- Alien Registration or Permanent Resident Card (if you are an eligible noncitizen)
- You have the option to start with the FAFSA on the Web Worksheet.
- Review and complete the questions on the FAFSA before completing and submitting the actual FAFSA.
- Find out if you may qualify by going to the FAFSA FORECASTER.
- Become familiar with the financial aid process and various types of aid available.
- Create a FSA ID if you are a first time applicant.
- The FSA ID will be used to electronically sign your FAFSA.
- Write down your FSA ID and do not share - you will use this same FSA ID for every academic year.
- You will need one for yourself (and one parent if you are a DEPENDENT student).
- Login with your FSA ID and complete the FAFSA.
- Be sure to include Leeward CC’s school code: 004549.
- If eligible, use the IRS Data Retrieval (if you filed tax returns), this securely transfers your tax data from the IRS to your FAFSA.
- Review your Student Aid Report (SAR) you receive once your FAFSA has been processed by the government, generally 3 - 5 business days, after you submit your FAFSA.
- Review for accuracy.
- Make corrections, if necessary.
The Federal Student Aid Information Center (FSAIC) can provide help to your FSA ID or FAFSA questions. If you have questions, call 1-800-433-3243 (1-800-4FED-AID).
A Minute to Learn It - Applying for Financial Aid:
FAFSA: Creating an FSA ID: