The Dean’s List recognizes students who maintain outstanding academic records at Leeward Community College. It is compiled for each Fall and Spring semester. Only credits and grades earned for Leeward CC courses will be used in determining Dean’s List eligibility.
A student will be named to the Dean’s List if all of the following requirements are met:
- Has a cumulative grade point ratio of 3.8 or higher (on a 4.0 scale) for all coursework completed at Leeward.
- Has successfully completed a minimum of 24 credits of coursework for letter grade (“A”-“D”only) at Leeward, exclusive of courses numbered below 100 in English, ESL, Mathematics, Reading and Learning Skills, with a cumulative grade point ratio of 3.8 or higher for those 24 credits of coursework. For non-vocational students, below 100 level courses will not count towards the minimum 24 credits.
- Has been assigned the grade of “W,” “N” or “NC” for no more than a total of four courses at Leeward, regardless of whether those courses are numbered below or above 100 and regardless of whether any of those courses were repeated.
- Has successfully completed at least 6 credits for letter grade with a current grade point ratio of 3.0 or higher during the semester for which the student qualified to be named to the Dean’s List.
- Based on the student’s academic record for the semester for which the student qualified to be named to the Dean’s List, was not placed for the semester following on academic warning, academic probation, or academic suspension under Leeward CC’s Academic Probation and Suspension Policy.
- When an “I” (incomplete) grade is assigned to a student at the end-of semester deadline, the “contingency” grade submitted by the instructor will be used to determine eligibility for the Dean’s List.
In determining a student’s eligibility for the Dean’s List, or whether the student meets the requirements above, any course repeated by the student shall be counted only up to the maximum number of credits that the applicable course description in the Leeward CC Catalog specifies that the course may be repeated for credit.
If a course description in the Catalog states that a course may be repeated for additional credit but fails to specify the maximum number of credits for which the course may be repeated, the course shall be treated as if it may be repeated only once for additional credit.
If a course description in the Catalog does not state that a course may be repeated for additional credit, the course, if repeated, shall be counted only once for purposes of this policy and only in terms of the grade and credits earned the first time it was successfully completed.
In all cases where a student has repeated a course in excess of the maximum number of times or the maximum number of credits allowed or specified by the applicable course description in the Catalog, that course (for purposes of determining eligibility to the Dean’s List) shall be counted in the order it was repeated successfully but only up to the maximum number of times or the maximum number of credits for which the course could have been validly repeated for credit.
A student must qualify for the semester’s Dean’s List based on the student’s total academic or transcript record to date at Leeward CC, including the student’s semester grades for that particular semester as submitted to the Admissions and Records Office by the applicable end-of-semester deadline for the submission of semester grades. A student will not be named retroactively to the Dean’s List based on any change of grade submitted after the applicable end-of-semester deadline.
Students named to the Dean’s List will be informed in writing by the Office of the Vice-Chancellor. If a student believes that he/she should have been named to the Dean’s List but was not, the student is encouraged to make a timely inquiry to the Dean of Student Services or designee.