A new academic year 2016-2017 has arrived, and once again the College Convocation on Wednesday, August 17, 2016, has given us an opportunity to reconnect with our colleagues, welcome the new additions to our faculty and staff and our new student government leaders and to jump start what we all know will be another banner year of focusing on innovation and student success.
We enter the 49th anniversary year of the college:
- experiencing a stabilizing of enrollment after a substantial growth increase, moving us very close to being the second largest campus in the 10-campus UH System,
- celebrating having met 100% of our Performance Measures for the UHCC and UH Systems
- receiving the final version of the Long Range Development Plan (LRDP), which will set the direction of our campus' bright future,continuing the renovations on our future Leeward Wai'anae Coast Campus located in Ma'ili
- enjoying our role as the UH System leaders in the Early College and OER (Open Education Resources) initiatives, and
- preparing for the upcoming ACCJC Team Visit in 2018.
I feel privileged to have been part of our Leeward CC ‘ohana from 1980 - 2007, in my roles as mathematics professor, Math and Sciences Division Chair and now as Chancellor of Leeward CC since 2007. I also feel privileged to be surrounded by talented, innovative, and caring faculty, staff and administrators who truly believe in doing what's in the best interests of our students in helping and supporting them to achieve academic, professional and personal success.