How to Apply: Active Duty Military, Military Dependent, Veteran, Hawaii-Based National Guard
1. Review Application Deadlines
2. Submit an application
- Apply online
- Print and submit necessary documents from the online application site for military or veteran verification.
3. Receive your Decision Letter
You'll receive a letter that informs you if your application has been accepted or denied. If accepted, the letter will also include important information on your first steps to enrolling. You will also receive information on New Student Orientation and a Welcome Booklet.
4. Sign up for a UH account
This account is needed to register for classes, establishes your “hawaii.edu” email account and for is used for many other transactions.
Go to: MyUH portal
- Click on "Get a User Name" on the upper left to establish your account.
- Follow the directions on the web pages to get your user name and password.
5. Determine if you need to take the Placement Tests
The COMPASS Placement Tests are computer-based assessments of your ability in different subjects. It helps place you in English and math courses in which you are most likely to succeed. Details.
6. Attend the New Student Orientation
New Student Orientation (NSO) is mandatory for all recent high school grads. Transfer and returning students are welcomed and encouraged to attend! Come prepared for 4 hours of fun and useful information!
If you are planning to take online courses, the iLearn@Leeward site has additional resources you'll need to succeed online. Also, join our online community for distance education students!
7. Check out and apply for financial aid.
8. Visit our counseling office for academic advising.
9. Prepare for Registration
- health clearance requirements
- registering for classes
- finding classes
- paying tuition and fees
- buying books
- attending classes