Apply - First Time, New Student
How to Apply: New Student (never attended college before)
You must be 18 years of age by the first day of instruction, a high school graduate or have received a GED.
1. Review Application Deadline and Residency Status
2. Submit an application
- Apply online
- Download an application. When completed, mail or drop it off in person to the Admissions & Records Office.
To apply for Fall or Spring Semesters: PDF application
3. Receive your Decision Letter
You'll receive a letter that informs you if your application has been accepted or denied. If accepted, the letter will also include important information on your first steps to enrolling. You will also receive information on New Student Orientation and a Welcome Booklet.
4. Sign up for a UH account
This account is needed to register for classes, establishes your “hawaii.edu” email account and for is used for many other transactions.
Go to: MyUH portal
- Click on "Get a User Name" on the upper left to establish your account.
- Follow the directions on the web pages to get your user name and password.
5. Take the Placement Tests
The COMPASS Placement Tests are computer-based assessments of your ability in different subjects. It helps place you in English and math courses in which you are most likely to succeed. Details.
6. Attend the New Student Orientation
To assist you in reaching your college goals, all students are required to participate in a New Student Orientation (NSO) session and to sign up for a counseling session. You will not be allowed to register for classes until you complete NSO and meet with a counselor.
NSO is offered "live" and online. More information.
9. Prepare for Registration