How to Apply: New Student (never attended college before)
You must be 18 years of age by the first day of instruction, a high school graduate or have received a GED.
1. Review Application Deadline and Residency Status
2. Submit an application
3. Receive your Decision Email
You'll receive an email that informs you if your application has been accepted or denied. If accepted, the message will also include important information on your first steps to enrolling, including New Student Orientation.
4. Sign up for a UH account
This account is needed to register for classes, establishes your “hawaii.edu” email account and for is used for many other transactions.
Go to: MyUH portal
- Click on "Get a User Name" on the upper left to establish your account.
- Follow the directions on the web pages to get your user name and password.
5. Determine Placement in English and math
Leeward uses a variety of ways to check your skill levels in English and math, to help place you in English and math courses in which you are most likely to succeed. Details.
6. Attend the New Student Orientation
To assist you in reaching your college goals, all students are required to participate in a New Student Orientation (NSO) session and to sign up for a counseling session. You will not be allowed to register for classes until you complete NSO and meet with a counselor.
NSO is offered "live" and online. More information.
If you are planning to take online courses, the iLearn@Leeward site has additional resources you'll need to succeed online. Also, join our online community for distance education students!
7. Check out and apply for financial aid.
8. Visit a counselor for academic advising.
9. Prepare for Registration