The AAT degree prepares you with a solid foundation of pedagogy to teach K-12. Degree completion enables you to be “career ready” to be hired as a highly qualified Educational Assistant or part-time teacher. When accepted to the accelerated program cohort, you'll experience these benefits:
Prescribed Schedule of Courses to Maximize Learning
- A prescribed course of study for a maximum of 20 students in a cohort with degree completion in an 18-month period.
- All courses offered online with opportunities for additional tutoring support through on-campus lab sessions or via Skype sessions with instructors.
- Guaranteed enrollment in prescribed general education and AAT courses.
- Selected courses paired into learning communities for integration of content.
- Textbooks for Education courses will be provided.
- Summer tuition will be the same cost as semester tuition.
- Laptop lending program available to cohort students.
- Stipends may be available for eligible students.
- Dedicated student support team consisting of counselor, student services specialist, and power mentors.
- Mentoring opportunities will be provided for time management, study tips, tutoring, and academic support.
In addition to a quality college education, the AAT degree provides seamless transfer towards a bachelors degree in Elementary, Secondary, or Special Education at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, University of Hawaiʻi at West Oʻahu, and Chaminade University.
Many AAT graduates are also hired as Educational Assistants, Paraprofessional Tutors, or Part-Time Teachers while completing their bachelors degree online or via afternoon/evening classes. More information about university transfer options may be discussed with your AAT program counselor.
|18 Month Degree Plan|
|Semester 1 (18 credits)
ENG 100 (3 cr)
ED 285 * (3 cr)
SP 151 * (3 cr)
PSY 100 (3 cr)
ED 294 (3 cr)
THEA 170 (3 cr)
|Summer (12 credits)
ENG 200 (3 cr)
ED 296 (3 cr)
REL 150 (3 cr)
ICS 100 (3 cr)
|Semester 2 (18 credits)
HIST 151 (3 cr)
ED 290 (3 cr)
ED 291 (3 cr)
GEOG 101 (3 cr)
PSY 240 (3 cr)
SOC 100 (3 cr)
|Semester 3 (14 credits)
BIOL 101 (4 cr)
PHIL 110 (3 cr)
ED 289 (3 cr)
HWST 107 (3 cr)
ED 295 (1 cr)
* Learning Community Courses
NOTE: Classes are tentative and subject to change.
I am ready to apply...now what?
Go to our enrollment page to complete an online application. In addition, submit your AAT Statement of Intent form (pdf) to: Leeward CC-Accelerated AAT, 96-045 Ala Ike, Room DA-205A, Pearl City, HI 96782. Fall admission application deadline is May 15.
Review the College's placement testing options prior to admission. Candidates must be at the ENG 100 (Writing) and ENG 102 (Reading) levels to enter program.
|Admissions Checklist for Accelerated Program (pdf) updated 3/19/14||89.98 KB|
|FAQ sheet (pdf) updated 7/23/14||396.38 KB|
|Statement of Intent (pdf) updated 7/23/14||397.05 KB|
|18 month degree brochure (pdf) updated 7/23/14||966.1 KB|