Accelerated AAT Program
The AAT degree prepares you with a solid foundation of pedagogy to teach K-12. Degree completion enables you to be “career ready” to be hired as a highly qualified Educational Assistant or part-time teacher. When accepted to the accelerated program cohort, you'll experience these benefits:
Prescribed Schedule of Courses to Maximize Learning
- A prescribed course of study for a maximum of 20 students in a cohort with degree completion in an 18-month period.
- All courses offered online with opportunities for additional tutoring support through on-campus lab sessions or via Skype sessions with instructors.
- Guaranteed enrollment in prescribed general education and AAT courses.
- Selected courses paired into learning communities for integration of content.
- Textbooks for Education courses will be provided.
- Summer tuition will be the same cost as semester tuition.
- Laptop lending program available to cohort students.
- Stipends may be available for eligible students.
- Dedicated student support team consisting of counselor, student services specialist, and power mentors.
- Mentoring opportunities will be provided for time management, study tips, tutoring, and academic support.
In addition to a quality college education, the AAT degree provides seamless transfer towards a bachelors degree in Elementary, Secondary, or Special Education at the University of Hawai`i at Mᾱnoa, University of Hawai`i at West O`ahu, and Chaminade University.
Many AAT graduates are also hired as Educational Assistants, Paraprofessional Tutors, or Part-Time Teachers while completing their bachelors degree online or via afternoon/evening classes. More information about university transfer options may be discussed with your AAT program counselor.
|18 Month Degree Plan|
|Semester 1 (18 credits)
ENG 100 (3 cr)
ED 285 * (3 cr)
SP 151 * (3 cr)
PSY 100 (3 cr)
ED 294 (3 cr)
REL 150 (3 cr)
|Summer (12 credits)
HIST 151 (3 cr)
ART 101 (3 cr)
OCN 201 (3 cr)
ED 296 (3 cr)
|Semester 2 (18 credits)
ENG 200 * (3 cr)
ED 290 * (3 cr)
ED 291 (3 cr)
GEOG 101 (3 cr)
PSY 240 (3 cr)
SOC 100 (3 cr)
|Semester 3 (14 credits)
BIOL 101 (4 cr)
PHIL 110 (3 cr)
ED 289 (3 cr)
HWST 107 (3 cr)
ED 295 (1 cr)
* Learning Community Courses
NOTE: Classes are tentative and subject to change.
I am ready to apply...now what?
Go to our enrollment page to complete an online application. In addition, submit your AAT Statement of Intent form (pdf) to: Leeward CC-Accelerated AAT, 96-045 Ala Ike, Room DA-205A, Pearl City, HI 96782. Fall admission application deadline is July 1 (priority)/July 31 (final). Spring admission application deadline is Oct. 1 (priority)/Oct. 31 (final).
Take COMPASS placements tests prior to admission. Candidates must be at the ENG 100 (Writing) and ENG 102 (Reading) levels to enter program.
|Admissions Checklist for Accelerated Program (pdf) updated 9/3/13||327.71 KB|
|FAQ sheet (pdf) updated 9/3/13||397.42 KB|
|Statement of Intent (pdf) updated 9/3/13||280.59 KB|