Leeward Discovery Fair
Saturday, November 3
9:00 am - 3:00 pm • Free!
LEEWARD DISCOVERY FAIR, presented on Saturday, November 3, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the Pearl City campus, is a perfect way to spend the day for all family members. The name reflects the expanded emphasis on the educational, interactive exhibits and games. The family-oriented day includes food booths, plant sales and entertainment Admission is free, with ample free parking.
The highlights of the Fair are the bustling hands-on, interactive learning activities for the entire family. One of the expanded exhibit is “Quicksand Goo,” a mysterious glob that is both a liquid and a solid! This year, you'll be able to try walking on water! Be sure to stop by this one! Returning crowd-favorites include Leeward Five-O a mock crime scene investigation, Bubblicious Geometry, and BONES, a forensic puzzle waiting to be solved.
This year the Fari features WEED & SEED HAWAII: CELEBRATE SAFE COMMUNITIES.
There is a wide variety of federal, state and city agencies (and private non profit organizations) that will be participating, with interactive exhibits, informational booths, presentations, demos, etc:
- Alu Like
- Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Child and Family Service
- Coalition for a Tabacco Free Hawaii
- Coalition for drug free Hawaii
- Communities in schools
- D. E. A.
- State DCCA office of the securities commissioner
- City dept of community services
- City dept of emergency management
- DLNR division of aquatic resources
- City dept of parks and recreation
- Attorney general -- crime prevention and justice assistance division, Internet crimes against children and Hawaii technology units
- Executive Office of aging senior medicare patrol
- Hawaii speed and quickness
- Coalition against domestic violence
- Hina Mauka
- Honolulu fire dept
- Honolulu police department - bomb unit, canine unit, community affairs, PAL, DARE, Keiki print, law enforcement explorers program, homeland security truck, solo bikes, swat, weed & seed sites
- Hawaii partnership to prevent underage drinking
- Ke ola ammo
- Papa ola lokahi , Imi hale program
- Parents and children together (pact)
- Queen Liliuokalani children's center
Other Discovery Fair activities include:
- Bug City - The bugs are back! Build your own bug and get a close-up look at a variety of creepy crawlers.
- Pliable Polymer: Squiggle, squeeze and turn liquids into solids, creating your own polymer worms or a bag of the silliest putty
- Spaghetti Engineering: Build structures and bridges with food!
- Instant Snow: Snow in paradise? Make snow magically appear.
- Chemistry Magic: Freeze a flower or shrink a balloon with liquid nitrogen. Learn the "tricks" of real science.
- Scholastic Book Fair, Local Market and Discovery Store
- Food Booths, including Fair favorites, shave ice and hot dogs
- Galactic Games, a galaxy of carnival games
- Tours of the Fossil & Mineral Exhibits and a special Natural History exhibit
- Continuous Entertainment
- Plant Sales
A special Arbor Day feature: plant giveaways, while supplies last.
Photos from past Fairs