Leeward Discovery Fair Information
Saturday, November 1, 2014
9:00 am - 3:00 pm • Free!
The LEEWARD DISCOVERY FAIR, presented on Saturday, November 1, 2014 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the Pearl City campus, is a perfect way to spend the day for all family members. The name reflects the expanded emphasis on the educational, interactive exhibits and games. The family-oriented day includes food booths, book sales and entertainment Admission is free, with ample free parking.
The highlights of the Fair are the bustling hands-on, interactive learning activities for the entire family. This year, you'll be able to build your own 3-D Tetrahedral Kite that really flies! Create genomic (one-of-a-kind) jewelry displaying your own DNA! Returning crowd-favorites include Leeward Five-0, a mock crime scene investigation, Bubblicious Geometry, and Quicksand Goo, a mysterious glob that is both a liquid and a solid!.
Other Discovery Fair activities include:
- Bug City - Get a close-up look at a variety of creepy crawlers.
- Pliable Polymer: Squiggle, squeeze and turn liquids into solids, creating your own polymer worms or a bag of the silliest putty
- Instant Snow: Snow in paradise? Make snow magically appear.
- Chemistry Magic: Freeze a flower or shrink a balloon with liquid nitrogen. Learn the "tricks" of real science.
- Scholastic Book Fair and a $1 book sale.
- Discovery Store – full of wonder-licious toys and gadgets.
- Food Booths, including Fair favorites, shave ice and hot dogs
- Galactic Games, a galaxy of carnival games
- Tours of the Fossil & Mineral Exhibits and a special Natural History exhibit
- Continuous Entertainment
This year the Fair features WEED & SEED HAWAII: CELEBRATE SAFE COMMUNITIES.
Weed & Seed Hawaii will have a number of federal, state, and local law enforcement exhibits on display including Keiki and Kupuna IDs, presentations on the latest trends in substance abuse, and ways to protect your personal investments.
Fair attendees can also take advantage of the Hawaii Prescription Drug Take Back, sponsored by the State Narcotics Enforcement Division, Department of Public Safety. Other displays and exhibits include:
- Better Business Bureau of Hawaii
- C&C Honolulu, Department of Emergency Management
- Coalition for Drug-Free Hawaii
- Dept. of Commerce & Consumer Affairs, Office of the Securities Commissioner
- Dept. of Community Services: Elderly Affairs Division & Work Hawaii
- Dept. of the Attorney General, Crime Prevention and Justice Assistance Division & MCCH
- Dept. of the Attorney General, Internet Crimes Against Children and Hawaii Tech. Units
- Drug Enforcement Administration
- Executive Office on Aging: Senior Medicare Patrol
- Hawaii Meth Project
- Hickam Federal Credit Union: from 9am--3pm Hickam Federal Credit Union will be sponsoring a FREE Keiki Fingerprint/Photo ID service
- Honolulu Fire Department-Fire Truck
Honolulu Police Department
- Bomb Unit
- DARE Vehicle
- Kupuna ID
- Major Events Div. - HPD Unified Incident Command Tractor Trailers
- Solo Bike Unit
- Legacy of Life
- US Attorney Office, District of Hawaii: Victim Witness
- US Coast Guard
- Marine Base Hawaii Canine Unit
Photos from past Fairs